Skip to main content

Chapter 4 : New Girl

Chapter 4 : New Girl

He's such a handsome man. Brielle shook her head in vain as she watched Jack walk towards the hotel.

"That's the owner." remarked the Manager catching her staring. "Come on, let’s go."

"Oh. Right." Brielle wasn't truly surprised. Of course, he owned a twenty-storey luxury hotel, that's just what billionaires did as side investments. Brielle followed the Manager into the elevator, the doors closing as Jack Dixon stepped into the hotel lobby.

The elevator stopped at the fourteenth floor and the attendant ushered them out. Brielle let out a surprised gasp. 

"It's beautiful." she said. One side of the entire restaurant was made completely of glass. The beautiful city shone under the afternoon sun as she looked through them. It was like a view from a hill top. The tables were arranged near the glass so every customer could enjoy the magnificent scene.

Brielle couldn't help but be mesmerized by her surroundings. She turned around a little too quickly in her haste to see the intricate chandelier above, painfully twisting her ankle. Face scrunched up in agony, she tried to stand up straight.

A tall slim woman, wearing black formal pants and a mauve shirt approached them. She cast a condescending glance at Brielle before looking at the Manager.

"Harold, I need someone who has a centre of gravity. I cannot have her serve soup to the guests if she does stunts like that."

The Manager sighed. "Give her a chance Fanny. She just prevented a catastrophe downstairs. One of our staff almost smashed the food trolley into the lobby. Ms. Dane was able to steady our staff as well as retrieve the trolley without any further damage."

"Is that so?" said the woman named Fanny. She stared at Brielle trying to locate flaws of any kind. Brielle stood self-consciously, ignoring the throbbing pain on her ankle.

"Let’s see how she does today. I'm not hiring her yet." said Fanny squaring her shoulders and standing even straighter.

"Fanny---" started Harold, trying to reason with her.

"No, it’s alright." said Brielle. "I don't mind. Please let me show I can be a good employee."

Fanny looked at her again, this time, her pointed eyebrows softening.

"You are very earnest. That's good. Alright." she said waving Harold away and gesturing Brielle to follow her to the kitchen. " How much experience do you have?"

"I served the entree and dessert at my parent's anniversary's every year. I also worked at a McDonald's drive through if that counts." said Brielle limping to catch up with her.

"The anniversary bit tells me you have tenacity to do the same thing and you have people skills. McDonalds means you are fast and can deal with stress.  I'll start you off at sixteen dollars an hour.  Break anything and it’s out of your pay check." she said.

"Thank you!" said Brielle gratefully. This was what she was having difficulty making in a day.

"Now, there's some ice in the freezer to your left. Sit on this chair and take care of that ankle." Fanny said. "The restaurant opens in an hour."

"Maybe she's not heartless after all." thought Brielle as she opened the refrigerator. "I think I'm going to like it here."


Click here to read Chapter 5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Epilogue

Epilogue   13 years later: "Does this tuxedo make me look fat?" asked Axky trying to button up the coat.  "Um honey," started Paula hesitantly trying to say yes without hurting his feelings. "You see it's not your fault, it's mine. With Vicky being with us I sort of went overboard with cooking delicious stuff the last couple of months. It's totally normal that you would need a larger size---" "You  are  calling me fat!" exclaimed Axky melodramatically. "I can't believe it." "No! I mean yes, a little," said Paula cursing under her breath. Why was he so sensitive about his weight anyway? It wasn't like it was important to her. "That is it!" said Axky taking off the ill fitting coat. "My new diet starts now." "Axky you can't diet now." Said Paula exasperatedly. "It's Arthur's wedding next week. Then we are going on a vacation to Italy. How can you possibly pass up

Wenesday Short Story - Prompt - Snow

First Fall My pen friend from another country came to visit me today. I picked her up from the airport in my battered old convertable, the heater working just enough to keep us safe from frostbite. "Do you think it will snow?" she asked as soon as she got in the front seat beside me. She had never seen snowfall before so I could understand her enthusiasm. I personally hate winters. The cold gets to me, I always have a runny nose and my sore throat prohibits ice cream consumption. Further, I detest freezing my fingers off shovelling snow off the driveway and despise the extra work needed to put snow trackers on the car tyres. But she looked so eager to see the little specks of frozen water, I couldn't help but allow a small smile to form on my face. "Maybe." I said looking at the grey skies. It was a terribly dull evening, dark and cloudy, the road illuminated by yellow headlights and bylanes with half hearted Christmas decorations. My friend was dressed in br