Skip to main content

Wednesday Short Story - Prompt - Pumpkin

Pumpkin Shell and Plastic Corn Soup

 Ingredients:

1. One ounce pumpkin shell (broken or whole)

2. Two tablespoons coral powder

3. Three cups plastic corns (recommended recycled Xeplometrowynelol plastic)

4. 11 ounces of water (synthetic works fine)

5. One spoon sea sand to taste

Process:

Mix ingredients and bring to a boil.

Serve hot while plastic corn is still melted.


"Mommy can we make this for my birthday tomorrow?" asked little Tanya as she settled down at the table.

"I'm not sure, honey. Pumpkin skin really expensive, I don't know if we can afford enough for soup." said her mother thoughtfully as she placed a bowl in front of her daughter.

"Oh." said Tanya as she looked down at the soup they were having today. It was the cheapest food they could find in the 22nd century ---plastic soup with cockroach scales.

"Mommy tell me the story of my great great great great aunt Greta again." said Tanya picking up her spoon and forgetting all about the new recipe she found.

"Oh Greta was a very rich woman." said her mother delving into the memory of the tales she'd heard as a child herself. "She lived in a big village where you could see the stars at night and there were big tall trees all around. There were plenty of fields full of pumpkins and cauliflowers and---"

"Even eggplant?" asked Tanya her eyes widening with surprise.

"Yes Tanya dear, even eggplants. There were lakes full of fish and mountains full of snow." continued her mother as Tanya distractedly ate her poor meal.

"Did grandma Greta ever eat plastic soup?" wondered Tanya as she struggled to swallow the tasteless soup.

"I don't think so honey." said her mother. "She didn't have plastics in her village back then."

"You mean they were so rich they never ate plastic?" said Tanya, her eyes wide with awe.

"Yes dear." said her mother with a sad smile.

"I wish we were rich Mom. Then maybe we wouldn't have to eat plastic soup everyday." said Tanya. "I'll work really hard Mommy. One day we'll be able to afford Cabbage soup."

Tanya's mother smiled softly and ruffled her daughter's hair. She only hoped that by the time Tanya was older there was enough uncontaminated soil to even grow vegetables.

She looked outside the window onto the planned city. People had homes, cars, internet and computers but they were running out of food. Eventually people had found ways to eat the most abundant thing in the world---plastic.

Perhaps things would change someday. Perhaps little Tanya could change the world. Perhaps there was still a way to turn things around.

Until then Tanya's mother would scour the markets for pumpkin skin. After all, come what may, a mother's love never changed.




Read next : Snow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Epilogue

Epilogue   13 years later: "Does this tuxedo make me look fat?" asked Axky trying to button up the coat.  "Um honey," started Paula hesitantly trying to say yes without hurting his feelings. "You see it's not your fault, it's mine. With Vicky being with us I sort of went overboard with cooking delicious stuff the last couple of months. It's totally normal that you would need a larger size---" "You  are  calling me fat!" exclaimed Axky melodramatically. "I can't believe it." "No! I mean yes, a little," said Paula cursing under her breath. Why was he so sensitive about his weight anyway? It wasn't like it was important to her. "That is it!" said Axky taking off the ill fitting coat. "My new diet starts now." "Axky you can't diet now." Said Paula exasperatedly. "It's Arthur's wedding next week. Then we are going on a vacation to Italy. How can you possibly pass up

Wenesday Short Story - Prompt - Snow

First Fall My pen friend from another country came to visit me today. I picked her up from the airport in my battered old convertable, the heater working just enough to keep us safe from frostbite. "Do you think it will snow?" she asked as soon as she got in the front seat beside me. She had never seen snowfall before so I could understand her enthusiasm. I personally hate winters. The cold gets to me, I always have a runny nose and my sore throat prohibits ice cream consumption. Further, I detest freezing my fingers off shovelling snow off the driveway and despise the extra work needed to put snow trackers on the car tyres. But she looked so eager to see the little specks of frozen water, I couldn't help but allow a small smile to form on my face. "Maybe." I said looking at the grey skies. It was a terribly dull evening, dark and cloudy, the road illuminated by yellow headlights and bylanes with half hearted Christmas decorations. My friend was dressed in br